The Best Natural Cleaning Products for Bathrooms
To find an effective natural cleaner for your bathroom, keep reading for our top tips and recommendations.
Bathroom showers, tubs, and countertops collect soap scum. Toilets gather grime and bacteria. Tiled surfaces can fall prey to mildew and mold. Mirrors collect toothpaste, makeup, and streaks. Fortunately, in addressing these common issues, natural bathroom cleaners work hard so you don’t have to. Ahead, learn what to look for in a natural cleaner—and don’t miss our top picks!
- BEST FOR TILE AND COUNTERS: Better Life Natural All-Purpose Cleaner
- BEST FOR SINKS, SHOWERS, AND TUBS: Bio Clean Eco-Friendly Hard Water Stain Remover
- BEST FOR MIRRORS: Better Life Natural Streak Free Glass Cleaner
- BEST FOR TOILETS: Method Antibacterial Toilet Bowl Cleaner.
Key Considerations for Choosing a Natural Bathroom Cleaner
Natural bathroom cleaners typically in two varieties:
- Multipurpose cleaners can be applied to a wide range of bathroom surfaces from showers and tubs to mirrors because they’re formulated for use on multiple materials. They are versatile and tend to be a budget-friendly option, because you only need to buy one cleaner for the whole bathroom.
- Dedicated cleaners are formulated for use only on specific surfaces, such as toilet bowls or showers; using them elsewhere could tarnish or corrode the surface or material to which they are applied. Dedicated cleaners are a good option for deep-cleaning a targeted area.
Perhaps more important is to select a product formulated for use on the specific material or surface that you’ll be cleaning.
- For toilets, bathroom cleaners should be labeled as safe for use on porcelain.
- For mirrors, choose products for use on glass.
- For countertops, cleaners should specify that they’re safe on laminate, natural stone (e.g., granite or marble), engineered stone (e.g., quartz), or ceramic tile.
- For sinks, cleaners should be compatible with sink basin materials (e.g., porcelain or acrylic) and faucet materials (e.g., chrome or brass).
- For tubs and showers, select cleaners meant for use on porcelain, ceramic tile, vinyl, or natural stone.
Natural bathroom cleaners get their cleaning power from different combinations of ingredients. Choose from the three compositions below based on your budget, the ingredients you’re comfortable with, and your cleaning needs:
- Traditional cleaners usually contain potent grime- and stain-lifting chemicals such as bleach, ammonia, or ammonium chloride. These can irritate eyes or skin and affect air quality. Some contain artificial fragrances and dyes, containing phthalates, alkylphenols, or volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like terpenes that can aggravate allergies or respiratory ailments.
- Green cleaners are made with ingredients sourced from nature, such as corn sugar-derived glucoside, lactic acid, and essential oils, which pack powerful dirt-lifting, descaling, and deodorizing properties but are non-toxic, fume-free, and non-corrosive.
- Germ-killing cleaners, available in both traditional and green varieties, contain antibacterial ingredients that kill germs in the bathroom. For satisfying results, choose a bathroom cleaner able to kill germs at a rate of 95 percent or higher.
Our Top Picks
1. BEST FOR TILE AND COUNTERS: Better Life Natural All-Purpose Cleaner
This versatile multipurpose cleaner works great on tile and countertops, helping eliminate common offenders like dirt, makeup, and soap scum. The formula can be used on a wide range of materials—porcelain, ceramic, natural stone, laminate, engineered stone, and more. Just spray the non-toxic, plant-based cleaner once per two-by-two-foot area, then wipe with a microfiber cloth in fast, overlapping motions. A little goes a long way.
2. BEST FOR SINKS, SHOWERS, AND TUBS: Bio Clean Eco-Friendly Hard Water Stain Remover
Bust rust, mildew, mold, and hard water stains with this multipurpose bathroom cleaner that doubles as a surface sealant. Being a biodegradable, odor-free formula of non-chemical surfactants and silica flour, this hard water stain remover is safe for use on sink basins, faucets, showers, tubs, tile (natural stone or porcelain), chrome, brass, steel and glass.
3. BEST FOR MIRRORS: Better Life Natural Streak Free Glass Cleaner
To remove fingerprints, makeup smudges, and other blemishes from mirrors and glass shower doors, consider this dedicated spray cleaner from Better Life. Free of VOCs and alkylphenols, this glucoside-based formula sprays on and wipes down with a soft cloth for a streak-free shine. Not for bathrooms only, this glass cleaner can also be used on windows and other glass surfaces, such as tabletops.
4. BEST FOR TOILETS: Method Antibacterial Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Another antibacterial toilet cleaner, this bleach-free option from Method relies on citric acid and essential oils to eliminate germs. Meanwhile, added ingredients (lactic acid and glucoside) dissolve soap scum—and impart a pleasant spearmint smell too. Simply squirt inside the bowl and flush. You can even apply this Method product to the toilet lid and/ or seat, without risking damage to the material, be it plastic or porcelain or other.