The Best Power Hedge Trimmers for Landscaping
The right hedge trimmer can help you tame and maintain shrubbery, keeping your landscape looking sharp. Ahead, read our top tips and recommendations for navigating the available options and see our roundup of favorites.
Hedges establish boundaries in landscaping, add privacy, and benefit curb appeal, but in order to look their best, they must be groomed. Power hedge trimmers are designed for this very purpose; they make it much easier to shape and otherwise control growth. Read on to learn the key considerations to bear in mind when choosing among these handy tools—and don’t miss our roundup of top-favorite picks among the best power hedge trimmers around!
- BEST OVERALL: DEWALT Hedge Trimmer
- ALSO CONSIDER: Makita 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 22″ Hedge Trimmer Kit
- EASIEST TO USE: WORX 20V PowerShare 20″ Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmer
- BEST VALUE: Greenworks 18-Inch 2.7 Amp Corded Hedge Trimmer
- HONORABLE MENTION: Sun Joe 21-in 4-Amp Multi-Angle Electric Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
Important Considerations for a Power Hedge Trimmer
Find your type.
You’ve got two options: gas and electric. Choose between the two based on how much power and portability you need.
- Gas-powered hedge trimmers. These tough tools, which generally require both oil and gas to run properly, tend to work harder than their electric counterparts. The downside to more power is weight: Gas hedge trimmers may be more than 10 pounds, making it a challenge to reach up and around tall shrubbery.
- Electric-powered hedge trimmers. While they don’t provide quite as much oomph as gas-juiced models, electric trimmers are usually lighter, making them easier to wield at chest height or higher. Lower-priced corded models offer uninterrupted use but less mobility because they’re plugged into an outlet—a problem for larger yards. Battery-powered trimmers mean total freedom of movement, though you must recharge or replace batteries regularly.
Choose a cut above the rest.
Another factor to consider is how big of a branch the trimmer can tackle. Most slice through branches up to 1/2-inch thick, while more powerful models can usually handle up to an inch in diameter. Check the size of the gap between the blade’s teeth; the greater the gap, the higher the cutting capacity. A majority of trimmers have a gap between 3/8 to 3/4 of an inch to manage common hedges cleanly.
Our Top Picks
BEST OVERALL: DEWALT Hedge Trimmer
The 11.5-pound DEWALT Hedge Trimmer runs on a powerful 20-volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery that’s interchangeable with a handful of other battery-powered DEWALT landscaping tools. At full power, the battery lasts 20 to 40 minutes. The dual-action, 22-inch blades move in two directions, slicing through branches up to 3/4 inches thick, with less vibration and less noise than many traditional models.
ALSO CONSIDER: Makita 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 22″ Hedge Trimmer Kit
This quiet, cordless, 12.5-pound hedge trimmer runs for up to 120 minutes when used on the optimal low-power settings—and it only needs 40 minutes to fully recharge its battery. The trimmer owes its long battery life to an 18-volt lithium-ion battery, which delivers clean, lasting power to the 22-inch cutting blade.
EASIEST TO USE: WORX 20V PowerShare 20″ Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmer
This compact, energy-efficient trimmer weighs little more than a laptop—about 6 pounds. What it lacks in size, it makes up in power. The 20-volt lithium ion battery gives the WORX an optimal runtime of 40 to 45 minutes. The dual-action steel blades, protected by a rustproof aluminum cover, can slice through twigs and branches up to 9/16-inch in diameter.
BEST VALUE: Greenworks 18-Inch 2.7 Amp Corded Hedge Trimmer
At 7 pounds, the Greenworks is a lightweight hedge trimmer, due in part to its relatively small engine (2 amps). But this budget pick doesn’t skimp on top-of-the-line features. Its 18-inch dual-action steel blades can cut through branches up to 3/8-inch thick, making it a worthy option for light to moderate trimming.
HONORABLE MENTION: Sun Joe 21-in 4-Amp Multi-Angle Electric Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
For trimming high-up, out-of-the-way branches, check out this telescoping hedge trimmer from Sun Joe. Extending up to 13 feet, the Sun Joe cuts with a 21-inch hardened steel blade, able to prune branches up to 7/10 inches thick. Only note that its weight of about 9 pounds requires some upper body strength to maneuver above head.